- Approximately 7.5” W x 15” H
- Fair Trade, Nest Seal of Transparency
- Made in Ghana
- Products are made of elephant grass
- Organic dyes are used to dye the grass
- Profiled weaver tag is attached to each product
*These delicately textured and handcrafted woven fans were made by groups of women in intimate communities in the Bolgatanga region of Ghana in an ethical, fair trade environment.
- To clean or re-shape, simply wet it with cool water, shape it as needed, and allow it to air dry.
- Avoid using chemicals or detergents.
Meaning & Purpose
The material used for weaving in Bolgatanga is elephant grass, this grass is only available in the southern part of Ghana, Kumasi to be precise. The grasses are harvested and dried up, a process which might take up to three (3) days. It is then tied together in big bundles and transported to the Bolga markets. This is where most of the weavers buy their raw materials. The straw grass is further processed before weaving begins.
- Straw is collected and split then rolled/twisted for texture.
- Straw is dyed to give a vibrant color before weaving begins.